Registration for Fall Lessons is now open.
You can register in-person at the Aquatic Center or online here.
Evening classes consist of 6 classes, Mondays & Wednesdays, for three weeks. Afternoon classes consist of 6 classes, Tuesday & Thursdays, for 3 weeks. Saturday classes consist of 3 classes.
Each class is 30 minutes.
Swim Lessons Scholarships are available! Children who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program are eligible for this great benefit.
Lessons – swim lessons only – No free swimming before or after swim lessons.
Lessons plus – swim lessons + swimming for your child before or after swim lessons. Not suitable for Minnows II.
Lessons plus parent – swim lessons + swimming for one parent and your child before or after swim lessons.
Lesson Fees for Fall 2017
|Afternoon & Evening Lessons||Saturday Lessons|
|Out of District||In District||Out of District||In District|
|Swim Lessons Only||$42.00||$34.50||Swim Lessons Only||$21.00||$17.25|
|Swim Lessons Plus||$48.00||$40.50||Swim Lessons Plus||$24.00||$20.20|
|Swim Lessons Plus Parent||$54.00||$46.50||Swim Lessons Plus Parent||$27.00||$23.25|
Fall Swim Lessons
Classes are Tuesday & Thursday for three weeks.
|Session A||October 3 - 19|
|Session B||Oct 31 - Nov 16th|
|3:20-3:50pm||Level 1 1/2|
Classes are Monday & Wednesday for three weeks.
|Session 1||Sep 25 - Oct 11|
Level 1 1/2
|Session 2||Oct 30 - Nov 15|
Level 1 1/2
Bilingual Saturday Lessons
Classes are Saturdays for three weeks.
|Session I||Sept 23 & 30; Oct 7
|Session II||Oct 21 & 28, Nov 4|
Preparing Your Child For Swim Lessons
• Bring a lot of towels and warm clothes.
• If your child has long hair, please tie it back.
• Let the instructor know on the first day if your child has any medical conditions.
• Parents should remain in the bleachers and try to not distract their children during lessons.
• Have your child use the restroom prior to the beginning of lessons.
• Allow only light meals prior to lesson time.
Minnows 1 with parent:
This class is designed to introduce children to the basics of swimming with the help of their parents. Each child is given the chance to learn at their own level.
Minnows 2 without parent:
This class is for children who have little experience in the water or who are hesitant about water. Taught without a parent, it will encourage children to become comfortable in the water. Pre-level 1 swim skills are taught. Children must be able to hold onto the wall, wait their turn, and follow simple instructions.
Minnow 3 without parent:
This class is for the toddler who has confidence in the water, can swim at least a few feet independently and is ready to learn more advanced survival strategies and the basics of freestyle. Advanced Minnows II and Level 1 skills are taught.
Learn to Swim Levels 1-5
Level 1: In this class students will learn to blow bubbles, submerge their head and coordinate breathing. They will float on their front and back with assistance and begin to coordinate the basics of freestyle.
Level 1 1/2: Students will focus on independent swimming: floating, streamline kicking, and freestyle. They will learn the basics of rotary breathing, backstroke and treading water.
Level 2: Students will be introduced to swimming in deep water, diving, and feet first surface diving. They will begin to refine their freestyle and rotary breathing, work on their backstroke and treading water, and learn breaststoke kick.
Level 3: This class will take place in the recreation pool and will focus on building endurance, refining strokes, diving and building on deep water safety. Students will begin learning breaststroke and butterfly.
Level 3/4: This class combines skills learned in Level 3 and 4. If class size exceeds maximum capacity, the class will be divided into two classes according to skill level
Level 4 (Pre-Comp): This class is designed to prepare students for competition by refining their freestyle and backstroke. They will work on their breaststroke, butterfly, open turns, and diving. They will learn sidestroke and elementary backstroke.
Level 4/5 (Pre-Comp): This class is designed to prepare students for competitive swimming. The focus will be on increasing endurance, refining strokes, and learning competitive starts and turns.
• Children may only be registered for one session at a time.
• If you or your child wish to swim before or after the lesson, please pay at the front desk. Please see our different lesson options that include swimming before or after lessons.
• Children should not swim if they have a fever, infection, open wound, rash, or any other contagious condition.
• The Hood River Aquatic Center reserves the right to cancel a class at any time due to an insufficient number of participants. Credits and/or refunds will be issued.
• Classes may be combined in order to better accommodate participants.
• Requests to drop or change a class must be made 48 hours in advance to receive credit towards future pool programs.
• Credits or refunds will not be issued due to improper placement, illness, or absence.
• It’s the parent’s responsibility to enroll their children in the correct class for their ability level.
Upon arrival at each lesson, please check in at the front desk.